Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Exploring Place

    In this blog post I will be exploring three separate and unique places; a viewpoint on campus, the Wood Center, and the Delta River. 

    There's a lot of paths one can take while on our UAF campus.  You can chose to stay on the sidewalk next to the road, walk through the trees, or take shortcuts on various trails.  There's one particular trail that most students take to get to and from the cafeteria, the Wood Center, the gym, or to Moore & Bartlett.  I walk on this trail every day.  It's usually peaceful and quiet unless there's a group of rowdy students on it's path.  Almost every time I walk up or down this trail I admire the sky.  No matter what it looks like, from day to day, it's always beautiful to me.  Even when I'm hurrying up the hill to get to my dorm room I glance over my shoulder to look at it.  If one were to stand there long enough and observe this spot, they would probably notice the parking lot filled with students' cars, the buildings of the dorm rooms and the SRC below to the right.  Although that's what some would immediately look at when coming down the trail, I look up at the Chena Ridge, just a few miles from campus.  I have friends, an older married couple, that live in a beautiful home up there on the ridge, whom I often visit and think of every time I walk down the hill on this trail.


     Coming to a much different place than the first viewpoint, the Wood Center is the place for socializing.  The Wood Center has a lot to provide to students and staff.  There's comfortable sitting arrangements for anyone to hang out with friends or to do homework.  There's places to eat or get drinks & there's even a Pub!  There's pool tables, arcade games, and a bowling alley for all to enjoy. The Wood Center can be a bit louder, (depending on how many people are inside of course) but it's overall a nice place to hang out and enjoy people's company.  The vibe is much different from that of the first viewpoint and the next I will be describing. 

    In my hometown of Delta Junction, there's the Delta River that lies parallel to the main street where you can find the Post Office, the grocery store and the gas stations and more.  I can't say this is the most majestic river I've ever seen in my life but it's one of the places that I love the most because of all the memories it keeps.  I grew up in Delta and our first house had a tiny little trail that led to the river.  Our family would go down there to make a fire and roast hot dogs and marshmallows.  I've been to the river during every season, and the most wonderful of course is the summer.  The river is always the place to go when my friends and I get bored.  It's also the place I take my dog to run around freely and not have to worry about her getting run over or stolen (she's an amazing husky mix, anyone would steal this dog! =P ).  It's a relaxing place to be to lay on the sand on a hot summer day or plunge your feet into the mud and squish it between your toes! 

  Even though Delta is my hometown, my home is wherever my dad is. 
   


   

1 comment: