Thursday, February 24, 2011

Overheard Conversation

    Desperate to finish this assignment on time, and having procrastinated enough, I went to the Moore Hall lobby to grab my piece of conversation.  Luckily, when I came down from the steps (for I only live 6 floors up in Moore) I had a friend sitting there.  I was thinking, "Thank gosh!  I really did not want to sit down here alone looking like a creeper,eavesdropping on others conversations".  I sat there for maybe ten minutes listening to everyone, and I realized, I can't just sit here and wait for a good conversation to happen, so I chose the next thing that was said.  The other kids around were slouching in the couches, feet propped up on the table, just like me, cell phones in hand.  No one was talking about anything interesting, anything funny or anything serious.

  "I've never not seen anyone in there." One girl said after shoving a small Hostess do-nut into her mouth.  Everyone had agreed, it was quite odd that no one was hanging out in the lounge.  I was curious as to why, for I do not "chill" in the lounge anymore.  I got up from my comfortable spot on the couch next to my buddy, Donald, and walked over to the lounge doors.  Immediately everyone in the lobby was gasping!  Donald yelled out, "Ruby, what are you doing? Don't open those doors!"  I turned around real fast with my eyebrow raised, "Why can't I go in there?"  No one would answer me, not right away at least.  "What's going on in there you guys?"  With a look of perplexity, Donald looked around the room, and realized he was the one who would have to spill the news to me.  "Someone was killed in there last night," Donald blurted out; straight to the point. 

I know from sitting in the lobby that this person was just simply stating that she was surprised no one was in the lounge, (which is of course quite odd).  I suppose this assignment was kind of hard for me because I wasn't really overhearing the conversation, I was taking part IN the conversation...I do believe it would have been a lot more challenging and interesting to just overhear someone's conversation at a coffee shop and I also would have understood the concept of context much more because of the way it can be misconstrued.  If you overheard somebody say angrily, "I'm gonna hurt that girl!", you have no idea in what context that person is speaking.  Context is important for a reader so they know what is going on and the message can be communicated more efficiently.

3 comments:

  1. Did they really say that about the doors? All I could think about was Sophia Sergie

    http://www.adn.com/2009/04/25/773186/cold-case-review-finds-new-lead.html

    This is a cold case and she was murdered in Bartlett Hall.

    You kind of creep-ed me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they didn't really say that! I was making it up! Wow, that article was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete